Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Interview with Scott Jordan

Scott Jordan played five years in the Indians and Astros organizations, making the major leagues with Cleveland in 1988. Since his retirement from playing, he has embarked on a successful career in the baseball card industry. The former president of Just Minors, he is currently Vice President, Licensing at Leaf Trading Cards. He kindly answered my questions about his baseball card experiences.

- How did you come to the decision to transition from being a professional baseball player to becoming a card industry executive?
There really wasn't a "decision" to transition from playing baseball to being a card company executive. Having decided that a sustained baseball career was unlikely, I was in the position of having to decide what to do. It was 1989 and the card industry was experiencing a huge explosion as you know so I decided to make a go of it. During the next few years I obtained experience as a show dealer, store owner and sub-distributor. Then an opportunity presented itself to work with a company that was manufacturing Minor League cards and that led me to where I am today.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
The only interesting story on my cards was not too flattering. I ran across a breaker at one of the shows shortly after I quit who handed me about 2000 of my card from his 1989 Donruss break along with the comment "I don't think I'll be able to sell these any more. Here you can have them." My family and friends are appreciative to this day - I am still honored to get cards through the mail to sign.

- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
My favorite card of me would be from the Collegiate Collection Ga Tech set.

- Do you personally collect baseball cards?
These days I don't collect cards, but I do collect investment type autographs. I have a couple of Ty Cobb pieces, Walt Disney, Bear Bryant, etc. My favorite is a nice Bobby Jones letter, since he is one of the more famous Ga Tech alumni.

Thanks!

1 comment: