Monday, October 4, 2010

Ken Vining's favorite baseball cards

Ken Vining pitched seven years of professional baseball, making the major leagues in 2001 with the White Sox. He is now Assistant General Manager & Pitching Coach at the On Deck Baseball/Softball Skill Development Academy in Pineville,NC. He kindly shared with me his thoughts on his favorite cards.

"I did collect cards when I was a kid. I was able to save most of the cards that I had collected. I am sure I will pass them along to my son when he gets a little older. There are a few cards that stick out in my mind as favorites. Obviously, my major league card is a favorite. I also had a minor league card where I posed as a left-handed catcher...haha! I got fined in kangaroo court for that one.

The card of Glenn Hubbard holding a snake was a card I had for a short time, but traded it. I was never able to get it back.
Some of Roger McDowell's cards were pretty funny. I had him as a pitching coach in Double-A...he was hilarious! My favorite card of all time was unique. It too was a card I traded away, but I found the card on Ebay years later and outbid everyone for it. It was Dale Murphy's rookie card in metal....or aluminum...or something."

Thanks! I couldn't find a picture of that minor league card - maybe one of you has it?

No comments:

Post a Comment