Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pat Combs on baseball cards

Pat Combs pitched four seasons for the Philadelphia Phillies, going 17-17 with a 4.22 ERA. He currently is a Financial Advisor at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, working in offices at the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Also a youth baseball coach in Southlake, TX, he kindly shared with me his thoughts on baseball cards.

"I began collecting cards in 1976, when I bought my first gum pack of Topps cards at the local 7-11. I know for sure that I enjoyed the gum more than the cards that year. My uncle, Chet Tata, who is a huge baseball fan and fellow collector/dealer, really got me started in collecting sets. I have every Topps set from 1978-1995, and many other complete sets from other card companies, primarily from '85-'95. At some point in the future, I will probably give the cards to my boys. I have enjoyed the collection, but not had much time to share them or do much with them, since I left the game. My free time is now devoted to coaching and working with youth baseball."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment